Spring 2020 Semester Application Deadline: 11/17/2019; our spring semester runs Jan-May
Stipend: Successful interns receive $600 as well as a letter of recommendation from Literacy Network.
Looking for a fun way to sharpen lesson-planning, management, and professional communication skills as you help immigrants and refugees living in our community? Every semester, each intern oversees one weekly ESL group tutoring session, which contains 8 trained volunteer tutors and 8 adults working to improve their reading, writing and English-speaking skills. LitNet Interns enjoy a positive, supportive, diverse environment in which staff, volunteers, students, and other interns all work together to make our programs effective and enjoyable.
- You must be able to commit to 10hrs/week for an entire semester: 8hrs at LitNet (flexible; during weekday office hours) writing 8 personalized lesson plans for your tutor/student pairs, and 2hrs managing your weekly session (arranging room, tracking attendance, providing support as needed).
- Tutor students as needed when your session is short tutors.
- Make weekly reminder phone calls to students in your session.
- Attend at least one professional development in-service during the semester.
Preferred candidates will have previous experience with:
- ESL lesson planning
- Adult education
- Learning a second language
- Working with people of other cultures
We are recruiting one intern for each of the following sessions (in your cover letter, be sure to indicate for which you are applying):
- Monday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Tuesday mornings, 10am-12noon at Literacy Network (Focus on basic Computer Literacy)
- Tuesday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Wednesday mornings, 9-11am at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Wednesday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
- Wednesday nights, 6-8pm at Vera Court Neighborhood Center (614 Vera Ct)
- Thursday nights, 6-8pm at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street) (Focus on Workplace English)
- Saturday mornings, 9-11am at Literacy Network (701 Dane Street)
To Apply for an Internship:
Please send your resume and cover letter (please include which semester you are applying for, how your relevant experience/qualifications make you a great candidate for this position, and weekly session preference) to Ms. Shawn Steen via email@example.com or:
Community Literacy ESL Internships
701 Dane Street
Madison WI 53713