Office of the State Public Defender
Are you seeking a rewarding and challenging career? Bring your administrative support skills to the Office of the State Public Defender (SPD) and make a difference in the lives of Wisconsin residents. The SPD is currently recruiting to fill a full-time Client Services Specialist-Objective (CSS)-Spanish speaking position in our Milwaukee Trial office.
The SPD’s mission is to enhance the quality of justice throughout Wisconsin by providing high-quality cost-effective representation to indigent clients, protecting the rights of accused individuals, and by serving as advocates for effective defense services and a rational criminal justice system. To learn more, visit our website at http://wispd.org.
Employees are offered a comprehensive benefits package including a top-rated health plan, vacation leave, nine paid holidays, and the ability to participate in one of the best retirement plans offered. For a complete list of benefits, click here. Additionally, employees may be eligible for student loan forgiveness through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
The CSS works with attorneys and clients to gather and provide facts to develop treatment proposals and sentencing alternatives. The CSS is also responsible for providing written & verbal reports, and testifying in court as requested. Working in the field and client home visits are essential part of this position. Frequent travel within the region is required.
To receive a copy of the position description, please email Monica Endres at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Starting salary will be between $17.43 and $30.19/hour, which is in pay schedule-range 12-64. Salary will depend on experience and qualifications and will be based on rules that apply in the current compensation plan. An additional $1.00/hour, bilingual add-on, will be provided for this position. A twelve-month probationary period is required.
- A Valid WI driver’s license and the ability/authorization to drive a state vehicle is required as a condition of employment.
- Ability to testify in an effective manner in court procedures. Testifying in an effective manner requires candidates and employees have no criminal convictions that may allow impeachment of testimony.
- Travel to other counties in WI will be required.
- An extensive background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment.
- Incumbent must be able to fluently read, write and speak English and Spanish.
Minimum Qualifications (Required – Candidates must have experience and/or training relevant to these areas in order to be considered for this position):
1) Interviewing and gathering information from people of all ages and backgrounds
2) Writing detailed reports
A Well Qualified Candidate will also have experience in the following areas:
1) Working with the criminal, juvenile and/or mental health justice systems