Literacy Network is hiring Essential Literacy Interns for the Spring 2022 semester. During the internship, each intern manages a group of learner/tutor pairs who meet weekly to work towards the learners’ goals.
As a Group Leader intern, you will:
- Create weekly lesson plans
- Oversee a weekly session throughout an entire semester
- Support up to 8 tutor/learner pairs
Essential Literacy Group Leader interns help local adults build essential skills in writing, reading, computer literacy, and math. The Essential Literacy interns monitor and support their sessions, which happen at a fixed time weekly. Adults in this program are native speakers of English and advanced English language learners.
Training, lesson planning materials, mentoring, and ongoing support are provided to all Group Leaders. This position is a great opportunity to improve or practice lesson-planning, project management, and teaching skills while you help others in the community!
- Attend Group Leader intern training prior to semester start
- Commit to 8-10 hours weekly for an entire semester
- 2 hours/week at your session
- Remaining hours at Literacy Network to prepare for your session
- Prepare individualized lesson plans for tutor/learner pairs
- Manage your weekly session (arranging room, tracking attendance, scheduling, documentation, and providing support as needed)
- Tutor students as needed when your session is short tutors.
- Make weekly reminder phone calls to students in your session.
- Check in regularly with learners and tutors throughout the semester
- Undergraduate sophomore standing or higher
- Reliable technology and access to internet, Zoom, and email
- Reliable transportation to Literacy Network
Preferred candidates will have experience with:
- Lesson planning
- Adult education
- Working with people of other cultures
- Fluency in spoken & written English
UW-Madison students with work-study eligibility are highly encouraged to apply and to use their work-study award.
Application Deadlines: Monday, December 13th at noon
Semester Dates: January 24- May 7
Training Dates (both days required):
- 6 – 8 pm on January 11
- 5 – 8 pm on January 12
Hours: expected 8-10 hours/week during the semester
- Interns are required to attend training before they start the semester.
- During the fall semester, interns are expected to work 8-10 hours weekly. As part of this expectation, interns will manage a recurring weekly session for 2 hours every week of the fall semester. The remaining weekly hours are dedicated to lesson planning and coordination in preparation for their session, which can be flexibly scheduled during the week.
- For virtual interns, the session will be virtually held on Zoom, with the remaining hours flexibly scheduled for remote work.
- For in-person interns, the session will be held in-person, with the remaining hours flexibly scheduled for in-person or remote work.
- After the last session of the semester, the intern is expected to complete end of semester tasks.
- Interns are paid for training and for end of semester tasks. The weekly 8-10 hours expectation does not apply to training and end of semester tasks.
We are hiring for the sessions below.
- Essential Literacy
- Tuesdays, 10 am – 12 pm at Literacy Network (virtual)
- Wednesdays, 10 am – 12 pm at Literacy Network (in-person)
- Thursdays, 6 – 8 pm at Literacy Network (in-person)
Pay: $10.00 hourly
- Director of ABE & GED Instruction (Essential Literacy and GED internships)
- Director of ESL Tutoring (ESL internships)
Spring 2022 Extended Deadline: Monday, December 13th at noon
To apply for an internship, submit an online application here.
Please email Lilly Rotter at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about the internship or the application.