Skip to main content

Languages at UW-Madison

Home > Advising & Policy > College Credit Earned in High School

College Credit Earned in High School

There are many ways that you can earn college credit for language study while still in high school:

  • Advanced Placement (AP) tests
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) tests
  • Dual enrollment programs (UW-Oshkosh CAPP, UM College in the Schools, etc.)
  • A language course taken at a college or university while still in high school

All of these options provide you with UW-Madison credit in different ways; you should work with your academic advisors at Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR) to understand the credit you already have and how it affects your continuing language study at UW-Madison.

For placement purposes at SOAR, it is helpful to know the level and course number of the course taken for college credit at another institution.  You should request that transcripts or test scores be sent from the credit-granting institution to UW-Madison as soon as possible. If it’s not possible to have your transcripts or scores before you attend SOAR, be sure to bring as much information as you can (program information, web sites, etc.)

Some common dual enrollment programs

College Coursework and AP/CLEP/IB (UW-Madison Office of Admissions)

Cooperative Academic Partnership Program (CAPP), UW-Oshkosh

College Credit in High School, UW-Green Bay

Partners in Education (PIE), UW-Whitewater

College in the Schools (CIS), University of Minnesota